Buildings and Infrastructure
The cornerstone for our beautiful blue stone church was laid in 1895. The Finance Committee borrowed $4,000 for the new building and made an intensified drive for new subscriptions. The Building Committee indicated that the total cost of the new church building would be $54,000.
A number of memorial gifts were made to furnish the new church:
- Altar and reredos from Mr. & Mrs. Robert Rose
- Window over the front entrance by Mrs. James K. Welden
- Altar rail by the women of the church in memory of the Rev. W. Henry Platt
- Baptismal font cover by Mrs. C. M. Stone
- Chairs and a bronze desk by John Anderson
- Litany desk and processional cross by Robert Rose and Craig Rose
The major stained glass windows in the church have been memorial gifts. See Stained Glass Windows for more information.
Leaping ahead to this century, it had been obvious for some time that significant repairs were needed to the church structure, particularly the roof and masonry. A capital campaign to raise funds for this work began in the summer of 2008. The goal of $725,000 was exceeded by December 31, 2008. Work began on the roof and masonry in the spring of 2009.
An Awesome Place
A Service of Rededication and Thanksgiving was held on Sunday, November 21, 2010 to celebrate the completion of
- New roof
- Repaired stone masonry
- New gutters and flashing
- New lights in the sanctuary, narthex, and outside
- Upgraded electrical system in the church
- Fresh paint and plaster in the church
- Organ repairs and upgrades
- New sidewalks
- Improved landscaping
Brian Palmer presented "Reflections on Rededication."
The original chapel was moved to the lot north of the new church building and served as the parish house after the new church was built. The Parish House was enlarged and the formal opening was held in January 1912. In December, 1916, the church bought the property next door on Main Street.
On January 16, 1945, a fire caused by sparks from electric lights on a dry Christmas tree destroyed the interior of the Parish House. Construction on the new Parish House finally got underway in March 1949 and full use of the building was resumed in the spring of 1950.
In 1964 the heating system was modified and classrooms on the second floor of the building were added.
Trinity House, the new addition to the Parish House, was dedicated in October, 1960. The Common Room, dining room, kitchen, gymnasium and Sunday School classrooms were part of this new addition.
The current rectory at 104 Vincent Street was purchased in 1943. A center hall colonial, it has four bedrooms and two and half baths. Located on Binghamton's West Side, it is about a mile from the church. See photos of the rectory in the Photo Gallery Archives.
Glazing of storm windows was accomplished in the fall of 2009. A new roof on the rectory is the newest improvement.
New sidewalks were installed on the Oak Street side of the Trinity House in the summer of 2008. New sidwalks were installed in front of the church on Main Street in the summer of 2010.
In the summer of 2009, a new stove and convection oven were purchased for our much-used kitchen. A new hood was installed to bring us in compliance with the fire code. The Rev. Paul C. Donecker blessed the new equipment in August 2009.
A new security system was installed in the fall of 2009. Activated by motion, it replaces an antiquated system that relied on sound.
Repairs were made to our pipe organ in the fall of 2009. Water had damaged the sensitive leather components in the Swell division of our 1960 Casavant Frères pipe organ. See Organ for more detail.
Our Information Technology was upgraded in 2009. We have completed the upgrade of all of Trinity Memorial's PCs and networking equipment and diagnosed and resolved network problems attributable to aging infrastructure. This puts us into "maintain what we have" mode for the foreseeable future. Our office team has completed the transition to the new church management software. We will be upgrading our accounting software to a current level. All systems are running Windows XP/Pro, which is in extended support from Microsoft until April 8, 2014. This allows us to not have to consider OS upgrades for some time to come. Our IT infrastructure, having been upgraded over the last two years, is in good shape!
Our electrical system in the church has been upgraded. New lighting fixtures were hung in the nave in the spring of 2010, and additional lighting was added in the summer of 2010.